My Take on The Growth Mindset

Growth Mindset Chart: Laura Gibbs' Blog

     I have never heard of The Growth Mindset nor Carol Dweck. I am familiar with the idea that growth only comes if there is a struggle, but I never knew that there was a name or extensive research about the topic. While I see myself leaning towards a growth mindset, I am still very fixed. I still tend to give on a problem or a situation when it seems too difficult for me to solve or deal with. School work is a good example of this in my life. When I first came to college, I would almost immediately give up on a complicated problem if I felt like I didn't have the tools to complete it. As I continued through my education, I began to realize that problem solving is not a trait. Problem solving is a skill that has to be developed and worked on continuously. When I realized this, I began to work harder because most problems encountered in work or life are not able to be solved with an internet search or solution manual. The growth mindset is something I am very interested in learning more about because I am enrolled in classes I am worried about and do need to change the way I think about how I solve problems. While I don't have any specific learning goals for the semester other than reading more, I think that if I put work into the growth mindset I will be able to solve problems more effectively and achieve my goals more successfully. 

Comments

  1. I too had not heard of Growth Mindset really until I took a class with professor Gibbs. I have come to really enjoy reading about different strategies and outlooks that the growth mindset way of life has to offer. I hope that you have been able to relate to this feeling and that it helps you in all aspects of your life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Lakeside