Week 10 Story: My Time in Hell

File:Yudhisthira with a dog as a chariot from heaven arrive.jpg

     I have only begun my journey into Hell only fifteen minutes ago, but to be honest, it feels like hours. My name is Yudhishthira and earlier today I was minding my own business walking along a dirt road. To be honest, I had no real destination in mind and I have been wandering ever since my four other brothers had died. On top of that, my old dog Rufus died just a few days ago, so I was truly alone for the first time in my life. As I walked along the dirt road, a man flew down from the sky in a chariot powered by stallions. As it flew down to me, I noticed that it was not a man driving but rather the god Indra. 
    The god Indra and spoke to me and said "I have been watching you for your entire life. I have watched you as your kingdoms have flourish and fallen, as you were sent away in exile for thirteen years, and even today as you walk alone." To be honest, I felt a sense of pride for the fact that a god has been watching me, but I also felt uncomfortable. "How can I help you?" I asked. He responded and told me that my brothers are in heaven, but my cousin as well as nemesis, Duryodhana, is in Hell. He gave me a choice; I could go to heaven to meet my brothers or journey to hell to rescue my cousin. I want to go heaven, but I know that I need to go Hell. Duryodhana may be my nemesis, but he is not worthy of Hell. I made up my choice and Indra snapped his fingers placing me at the gates of Hell. I have just journeyed in and stopped to write this diary if I do not make it out. If someone finds this diary, I hope that they will attempt to save me from Hell. 


Authors note: 

I wrote this story based off the Indian Heroes story. The Indian Heroes story placed the Pandavas as the heroes of the entire Mahabarata story, but at the very end, Yudhishthira had to got into hell to bring his brothers and Duryodhana back to heaven. I decided to make my story so that Yudhishthira had a choice between joining his brothers in heaven or going to hell to rescue his cousin.

Bibliography:

Author: C.A. Kincaid
Title: The Indian Heroes
Source: Blogspot



Comments

  1. Hello again Trace! What an interesting decision you have set before your character! I love the stories of characters traveling to the underworld, heaven, hell or whatever the afterlife of the story may be. I love the idea of him leaving a diary! I wonder how you could make this post even more diary-like. Maybe with a date, something visual to signal the format. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Trace, I thought id do a little extra commenting and wanted to come read your latest story. I really loved this one just like I enjoyed the last one I read from you. I like that the story has cool twists and is set in the afterlife. One can change so many things up when you don't have to deal with laws of physics and reality, which the afterlife would have neither holding them back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trace, I enjoyed reading your story. Telling as story of the afterlife is one of the most interesting concepts i have read this semester. Getting a perspective on what that may look like is very cool in my opinion. I like how it feels like time is passing very slowly in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trace, I enjoyed your recreation story. The god Indra giving Yudhishthira the option of going to Heaven or Hell is almost like the reoccurring choice of good or evil. Even though the easy thing would be to join his brothers in heaven he chooses going to Hell to save his cousin, who spend his whole life trying to destroy Yudhishthira and his brothers. I also liked the humorous comment about Yudhishthira feeling uncomfortable that a god had been watching him his entire life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction

Week 2 Story: The Lakeside